The Advanced Practice Program for Nutritional Professionals
The Advance Practice Program is undergoing a facelift! It will be on-hold this summer while we upgrade our offerings. Please check back with us in September.
The Advanced Practice Program at the Joslin Diabetes Center is an exciting opportunity to acquire a better understanding of the dietitian’s unique role in the management of patients with diabetes, a disease that is altering the healthcare landscape.
The experience you’ll gain from learning at Joslin is unmatched, and can be easily implemented at your home institution.
Participants in the Advanced Practice Program will be able to work with diabetes educators in the fields of nutrition, exercise physiology, and nursing. You’ll also be able to observe doctors and nurse practitioners in both adult and pediatric settings.
Over the course of the three-week program, you can increase your understanding of the newest diabetes management tools: various types of insulin, insulin pens, meters, software, and insulin pumps. Participants have the option of observing insulin pumps in action, and receiving advanced instruction in carbohydrate counseling and insulin adjustment. Through the program, you’ll be exposed to the following areas:
- Pregnancy and diabetes
- Pediatric diabetes
- Matching insulin dosage to carbohydrate intake
- The use of devices and pens
- Adult diabetes management
- Continuous glucose management
- Intensive outpatient diabetes education program
Benefits of the Program
As an Advanced Practice participant, you will be able to:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of diabetes and its various treatments
- Participate in Joslin’s DO IT Program (Diabetes Outpatient Intensive Treatment)
- Learn to match insulin to carbohydrate intake
- Observe the use of cutting-edge diabetes management tools
- Interact with diabetes educators from all disciplines
- Draw on extensive Joslin training to enhance the outcomes of your patients
The Joslin Diabetes Center Advantage
Afiliated with Harvard Medical School, Joslin trains over 150 M.D. and Ph.D. fellows each year, and has the highest concentration of Certified Diabetes Educators anywhere in the world.
This is an opportunity to increase your diabetes know-how by working with dietitians at the world’s leader in diabetes care.
How To Apply
Registered Dietitians are encouraged to apply. Applicants from outside the U.S. must have at least a Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition to participate.
For more information, including program details and an application, email:
Nora Saul, M.S, R.D., L.D.N., C.D.E