Clinical Research Center
The Joslin Clinical Research Center (CRC) provides a variety of specialized resources for investigator-initiated research protocols. Most of these services are provided to investigators through resources available in their individual grants in the form of chargebacks, and from support of the Joslin Diabetes Center and its philanthropic donors.
These resources are available to all researchers at the Joslin Diabetes Center:
Clinical Research Advisory Committee
- Multi-disciplinary faculty
- Discussion of protocol development for specific aims, hypotheses and scientific value
- Recommendations for study design, outcome variables and analysis
The Joslin Clinical Research Center provides:
- Exam and procedure rooms
- Phlebotomy services
- Specimen processing laboratories
- Joslin Fitness Center for studies involving exercise
Nursing Services provide:
- Highly skilled nursing staff, experienced in complex outpatient studies
- Expertise in patient care for people with diabetes and its complications
- Clinical Research RNs who assist investigators with protocol implementation, development of source documents, coordination of study activities, staff education, and act as liaisons with other CRC staff members
- Accurate collection of data including precise collection of timed specimens
Nutrition services are available on a limited basis providing:
- Highly qualified research nutritionists experienced in lifestyle modification and nutrition counseling for patients with and without diabetes
- Assistance with planning nutritional aspects of clinical research protocols
- Development of nutrition research methodology
- Food record analysis with computer nutrient databases
Statistical Support provides:
- Assistance in study design
- Advice regarding data collection, management and analysis
- Software and assistance with data management and statistical analysis
- Seminars on study design, data management and data analysis
Cardiovascular Research Laboratory: The Joslin Clinical Research Center has available a Toshiba model Powervision 8000 high resolution ultrasound system, providing the capability for studies of vascular reactivity and endothelial function as well as measurements of carotid intimal media thickness. This core facility is provided for research purposes only. CHS approval of the protocol is required prior to using the facility.
Body composition and Bone Mineral Density Core Laboratory: The Joslin Clinical Research Center has available a Hologic Delphi DEXA Scanner (Hologic QDR Elite Fan Beam X-Ray Densitometer; model number 4500A with a Delphi Upgrade, providing the capacity for measuring body compositions and bone mineral density. This Core facility is provided for research purposes only. CHS approval for the protocol is required prior to using the facility.
Research equipment: Equipment is available for many clinical research investigations including wall mounted stadieometer, ECG bedside machines, GE Dynamap portable vital sign monitor, bioelectrical impedance monitor,YSI in-room glucose analyzers; infusion pumps for clamps, glucose tolerance and infusion procedures; hot boxes for arterialization of venous blood; Itamar fingertip tomography, blood processing equipment with temperature regulated refrigerated centrifuge, and short term freezer space for biospecimens.
CRC Contact Information
CRC Director - 617-309-2643
CRC Nurse Manager - 617-309-2749