IRA Charitable Rollover
The IRA Charitable Rollover has been extended through Dec. 31, 2013. This legislation enables you to make a gift to charity from your IRA and not include the amount distributed in your taxable income.
In order for the transfer to qualify:
• You must be 70 ½ years of age or older when the gift is made.
• Your total IRA Rollover gifts must be $100,000 or less (or up to $200,000 if you are a couple) in a given year. This opportunity applies only to IRAs and not other types of retirement plans.
• Transfer must be made directly from the IRA administrator to the charity.
• You transfer funds outright to one or more qualified charities.
• No goods and services can be given in exchange and you may not receive any benefit for your gift.
• You cannot make IRA Rollover gifts to the following:
o donor-advised funds
o private foundations
o supporting organizations
o to fund a charitable gift annuity, charitable trust or other life-income gift
• You transfer your gift by Dec. 31, 2013.
If you have questions about how to make a gift to Joslin Diabetes Center using your IRA, please contact Patrick C. Schaefer, Director, Planned Giving.
Page last updated: December 11, 2013