Tips for Finding the Right Endocrinologist
When diagnosed with diabetes, you may not know where to begin to find an endocrinologist that's the right fit for you. Lyle Mitzner, M.D., at Joslin Diabetes Center, gives some tips on how to make the process easier.
- Check with your insurance company first to see which physicians it covers.
- Know the right places to look. Do research on these places to narrow your search down.
- Ask family and friends or check with a local hospital for recommendations.
- If you’re going to an academic center, make sure the endocrinologist has a particular interest in your condition, as many doctors in academic centers are specialized to the point that they only see thyroid, diabetes or pituitary disorders, according to Mitzner.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions to make sure it’s the right fit.
- Check out their credentials: where did they go to medical school, are they specialized in the right area, is he or she board certified, where did they complete their fellowship program?
- Make sure they are someone you can trust, communicate well with and establish a long-term relationship with.
During the first visit, inform them of the details of your lifestyle and health history to make sure they suit your needs.
To make an appointment with a Joslin physician, please call (617) 732-2400.
Page last updated: April 19, 2015