Tips for More Pain-Free Blood Glucose Monitoring
One of the keys to successful monitoring is minimizing pain, although most people get used to the finger stick. We suggest that you find the meter that works the best for you with the least discomfort. Here are some helpful hints to minimize pain and to get a drop of blood that's large enough:
- Wash your hands in warm water or shake your arms at your side to increase circulation to your fingers.
- Use a lancing device.
- Do it quickly because slow insertion hurts more.
- Make sure you stick deeply enough.
- Use the side of the fingertips where there are fewer nerve endings.
- Rotate the site (use different fingers).
Page last updated: March 07, 2014