About the Joslin JumpStart Program
About the Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador Jumpstart Program
When a child or teen is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes, the whole family has a great deal to learn in a short time. Joslin’s Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador JumpStart Program is designed to make the process of fitting diabetes into family life more manageable. The goal is to make sure every child with type 1 or type 2 diabetes gets off on the right track. From research, we know that young people who learn good management skills early on are more likely to enjoy a lifetime of better health.
Joslin’s Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador JumpStart Program is available to support you and your family. Your child will be assigned to a team of professionals to help you learn how best to manage pediatric diabetes. The team includes a physician, nurse, dietitian, family support specialist, and a “care ambassador”. The care ambassadors make check-in phone calls or send emails to you during your first year of care to ensure that everything is going well and to help you get in touch with your Joslin providers as needed. In addition to family support, Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador JumpStart Program provides financial assistance to patients who qualify.
Outreach Services Include:
- We will ask you how things are going with your child’s diabetes management
- We help coordinate support for your diabetes management as needed
- We connect you with members of our multidisciplinary team when necessary
- We help problem-solve any school-related concerns
- We provide guidance in helping your child cope with injections, pump site changes, or finger sticks
- We help support the entire family
- We help schedule your Joslin appointments with pediatric team members: Pediatric Endocrinologist, Nurse Educator, Nutritionist, and Family Support Specialist
- We notify you of our special program events: School Nurse Programs, Teddy Bear Clinic, Preteen and Teen Events, Summer Magic, and the Halloween Party
- We inform you about upcoming research studies and up-to-date news about Joslin activities
- We help you navigate the common challenges associated with ongoing diabetes care in childhood
Who is eligible?
- US Residents who are under 18 years old and currently seen in the Pediatric, Adolescent, and Young Adult Section at the Joslin Clinic can apply for financial services
- Financial support is granted based upon income and household size after review of a completed financial application
What does the financial support cover?
- Joslin medical and mental health visits
- Selective laboratory work that is performed in the Joslin clinical laboratory may be covered. (You may want to check with your child’s Joslin provider regarding special lab work that may require performance at special laboratories as such lab tests would not be covered under JumpStart.)
- Does NOT include: insurance copays, deductibles, or parking expenses
If you are granted financial assistance:
- Joslin financial support will be listed as a secondary coverage plan if the patient already has a primary insurance coverage plan
- Financial assistance may be retroactive for up to 6 months before the date on the application, but it cannot cover any collections balances
- Families must re-apply for financial assistance yearly to retain coverage (Care Ambassador staff will contact the family prior to the expiration)
How is this program possible?
The JumpStart Program is made possible by the generosity of foundations and individual donors who recognize the importance of diabetes care for all children.
For more information or to enroll in JumpStart, call
Page last updated: August 01, 2014