About the Joslin JumpStart Program
About the Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador Jumpstart Program
When a child or teen is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes, the whole family has a great deal to learn in a short time. Joslin’s Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador JumpStart Program is designed to make the process of fitting diabetes into family life more manageable. The goal is to make sure every child with type 1 or type 2 diabetes gets off on the right track. From research, we know that young people who learn good management skills early on are more likely to enjoy a lifetime of better health.
Joslin’s Eleanor Chesterman Beatson Child Life Pediatric Care Ambassador JumpStart Program is available to support you and your family. Your child will be assigned to a team of professionals to help you learn how best to manage pediatric diabetes. The team includes a physician, nurse, dietitian, family support specialist, and a “care ambassador”. The care ambassadors make check-in phone calls with youor send emails to you during your first year of care to ensure that everything is going well and to help you get in touch with your Joslin providers as needed.
Outreach Services Include:
- We will ask you how things are going with your child’s diabetes management
- We help coordinate support for your diabetes management as needed
- We connect you with members of our multidisciplinary team when necessary
- We help problem-solve any school-related concerns
- We provide guidance in helping your child cope with injections, pump site changes, or finger sticks
- We help support the entire family
- We help schedule your Joslin appointments with pediatric team members: Pediatric Endocrinologist, Nurse Educator, Nutritionist, and Family Support Specialist
- We notify you of our special program events: School Nurse Programs, Teddy Bear Clinic, Preteen and Teen Events, Summer Magic, and the Halloween Party
- We inform you about upcoming research studies and up-to-date news about Joslin activities
- We help you navigate the common challenges associated with ongoing diabetes care in childhood
- If there is a change in your financial situation, please contact a Care Ambassador to learn about financial programs offered as Joslin
How is this program possible?
The JumpStart Program is made possible by the generosity of foundations and individual donors who recognize the importance of diabetes care for all children.
For more information or to enroll in JumpStart, call
or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated: March 24, 2017