When a child or teen is diagnosed with type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes, the whole family has a great deal to learn in a short time. JumpStart is a program designed to make the process of fitting diabetes into family life more manageable. The goal is to make sure every child with type 1 or type 2 diabetes gets off on the right track. From research we know that young people who learn good management skills early on are more likely to enjoy a lifetime of better health.
We will assign your child an entire team of professionals to help you learn how to manage diabetes. This includes a physician, nurse, dietitian and a care ambassador, who will be in regular contact with you to see how things are going. In addition to family support, JumpStart provides financial assistance to patients who do not have insurance, or who may experience a lapse in coverage.
Who Is Eligible
A child or teen age 18 or under who has had diabetes for less than two years is eligible for this program. Also eligible are children 18 or under who have had diabetes longer than two years, but had not previously received care at Joslin or who have financial need. Those without insurance coverage will receive free JoslinCare for one year, thanks to grant support from four pharmaceutical/medical device companies: NovoNordisk, Medtronic MiniMed, Eli Lilly and Company and LifeScan. This program is only available at Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston.
The JumpStart Program Includes:
We can help arranging referrals and working with your insurance company, so your child can be seen at Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston. Or if you don’t have insurance coverage, we provide the following services for free the first year:
- Care by our pediatric endocrine specialists.
- Education by certified diabetes educators.
- Services of a care ambassador to help the entire family with any diabetes-related issues that arise.
- Routine laboratory work.
- Round-the-clock access to the healthcare team.
- Regular communication with the child’s primary care provider.
- Access to our health services, including eye, kidney and mental health specialists.
- Special programs, including the Teddy Bear Clinic, Summer Magic, our Halloween Party and Teen events.
- Online discussion boards.
- Help getting insurance coverage for necessary diabetes supplies and services.
JumpStart Does Not Include:
- Costs of hospitalizations, certain procedures and specialty services not offered at Joslin Diabetes Center.
- Care for medical problems unrelated to diabetes.
- Hotel or travel expenses (although we can help arrange local transportation).
- Cost of diabetes supplies, including meters, strips, syringes, insulin pumps (although we will try to work with companies that sell these supplies to provide treatment-related supplies that are needed).
- Co-payments required by your healthcare insurer usually still must be paid.