DO IT: Diabetes Outpatient Intensive Treatment Program
This four consecutive day (Monday-Thursday) program that offers you a chance to tune-up your diabetes management.
DO IT is for people 18 and older with either type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes—whether you were diagnosed years ago or just recently.
A Specialized Diabetes Team
DO IT provides a combination of individual attention and small-group education with the focus on you—what you need to do to get on and stay on the pathway to health.
Your DO IT team will consist of an endocrinologist, an exercise physiologist, a registered dietitian, nurse educators and a social worker. You’ll start by meeting with each specialist individually. You’ll have a physical exam and lab work, and we’ll take an image of your eye's retina.
After evaluating your needs, the team will work with you to design a personalized nutrition, exercise and medication plan. We will go over the latest techniques in diabetes management:
- Interpreting blood glucose levels
- Spotting, avoiding and treating low blood glucose
- Responding to high levels
- Adjusting and timing your medications
- Taking care of your heart and kidneys
- Managing travel and sick days
- Meeting nutritional goals
- Removing the guess-work from dining out
- Exercising to maintain control
- Reducing stress and staying motivated
DO IT Outcomes
At the conclusion of the program, we’ll provide you and your primary care provider with a record of your lab work, medical findings, and changes you’ve made to your diabetes care plan.
In following up on people who have gone through the DO IT program, we’ve found:
- Their A1C results have improved by an average of almost 1.5 points. Those with the greatest risk of complications—with A1C readings greater than 10—reduced their levels an average of 2.75 points in the first 3-6 months.
- The number of their emergency room visits and hospitalization was cut in half the first year.
- The time lost from work or school was reduced by 43 percent the first year.
For Information and Registration
For more information or to register call 617-309-2628
or e-mail us for information [CLICK HERE]
Upcoming DO IT Programs
December 12, 2016
January 9, 2017 (Type 1 )
February 13, 2017
March 17, 2017
April 10, 2017
May 22, 2017 (Type 1)
June 19, 2017
Boston Area Lodging
Information on places to stay in Boston during Joslin programs
Page last updated: December 10, 2016