During your 60 minute consultation with an exercise physiologist you will discuss proper exercise programming, common issues related to diabetes and exercise, and receive an individualized exercise plan. This consultation is covered by insurance.
Please bring your blood glucose/diabetes meds/exercise records to the appointment.
You will learn how to:
- Improve your diabetes control
- Improve activities of daily living
- Get started with an exercise program
- Lose weight and keep it off
- Avoid hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia during and after exercise
- Avoid and manage sports-related injuries
- Update your exercise program to increase stamina, strength and flexibility
- Improve sports performance
- Identify barriers to becoming more active and find solutions to overcome them
- Exercise with complications of diabetes
You will be back for a 30 minute follow-up appointment to help track your progress in reaching your goals.
Physical activity is a primary tool for managing diabetes. Even in the 1920s, Elliott P. Joslin, M.D. (the founder of Joslin Diabetes Center) recommended exercise along with diet and insulin as the ingredients for good diabetes treatment. And today, as the nation's rate of obesity climbs and lifestyles become more sedentary, exercise is more important than ever.
Page last updated: October 06, 2015