Community-Generated Event Guidelines
1. A suggested minimum goal of $1,500 is requested to use the Joslin Diabetes Center name and/or logo in association with any event or promotion.
2. Any use of the Center’s name must be approved by the Joslin Diabetes Center prior to use by the event organizer. In addition, the Joslin Diabetes Center Boston must be identified as the beneficiary of the event, not the sponsor. For example, organizers should not characterize an event as the "Joslin Diabetes Center Golf Tournament." Instead, it should be promoted as the "Golf Tournament to benefit Joslin Diabetes Center." This rule applies to all invitation copy as well as advertising and promotional activities.
3. The Joslin Diabetes Center must approve—in advance of printing or use—all invitation copy, advertisements, or other activities related to the event.
4. Events must comply with all federal, state and local laws governing charitable fund-raising, gift reporting and special events.
5. If an organization plans to solicit contributions, sponsorship or in-kind gifts from local businesses, the list of potential business sponsors must be reviewed and approved by the Joslin Diabetes Center before being approached in any way.
6. The sponsoring organization must submit event proceeds to Joslin Diabetes Center within 30 days following the event. Proceeds should be mailed or delivered to: Joslin Diabetes Center Development Office Community-Generated Events One Joslin Place Boston, MA 02215
7. Estimated expenses and revenue should be established by the event organizer and submitted to Joslin Diabetes Center on the attached Community-Generated Events Proposal Form for review before the event. The cost per dollar raised should be 50% or less. The Council of Better Business Bureaus states that, "reasonable use of funds requires that at least 50% of total income from all sources be spent on programs and activities directly related to the organization’s purposes." Joslin Diabetes Center may not approve any event/promotion in which fundraising costs exceed 50% of total income. Joslin Diabetes Center maintains fundraising costs at 15.8% of the total income and strongly encourages event coordinators to abide by the same standard.
8. If Joslin Diabetes Center will not be receiving all of the proceeds from the event, then the exact percentage of the proceeds to benefit Joslin Diabetes Center must be stated clearly on all invitation copy, advertising and promotional materials.
9. Under no circumstance may an individual or group keep any portion of the proceeds as profit or compensation for organizing the event.
10. The sponsoring organization must seek approval from Joslin Diabetes Center to repeat the event in each succeeding year.
What we can do to help you!
- Offer advice and event planning expertise
- Provide promotional Joslin materials and banners
- Provide and approve Joslin logo use
- Help promote your event through Joslin publications
- Provide a letter of authorization and validation to assist in fundraising
What we can't do
- Provide staff or volunteer support
- Provide tax exemption information
- Provide funding or reimbursement for expenses
- Provide donor or vendor mailing lists
- Guarantee event attendance by patients, physicians or staff
- Guarantee corporate sponsorship
Page last updated: July 27, 2016