8 Replacements for High Fat Foods
Making big changes in your diet means starting small by substituting your high fat food items for lower fat or fat free versions. Check out the list below for some ideas.
1. If you currently use whole milk cheeses, try low fat or part-skim cheeses instead.
2. If you drink whole milk, give 1% or skim milk a try instead.
3. Don't drench your salad in fat with a creamy dressing--try vinaigrette, low-fat, or fat-free dressings instead.
4. Instead of full-fat mayonnaise for a sandwich, why not try a low fat version or mustard instead?
5. Does your toast thirst for a little something extra? Instead of butter or margarine, give trans-fat free margarine, or margarine made with plant stanols a shot.
6. Giving it a rest with red meat consumption can help decrease your fat intake. In its place, try chicken, turkey, fish, or lean ground beef.
7. Switch from tuna packed in oil to tuna packed in water for a decrease in fat.
8 Cream sauces are high in fat just like creamy salad dressings. Next time you're looking for a sauce, go with something tomato-based instead.
Page last updated: July 23, 2016