DO IT: Diabetes Outpatient Intensive Treatment Program
This four consecutive day program is a chance to tune-up your diabetes management. It is for people 18 and older with either type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes, whether you were diagnosed years ago or just recently.
It provides a combination of individual attention and small-group education with the focus on you—what you need to do to get on and stay on the pathway to health. DO IT features Joslin's state-of-the-art medical care and diabetes education: daily physician visits, and small group and individual sessions with certified diabetes educators (nurses, dietitians, exercise physiologists and social workers).
A Specialized Diabetes Team
Your DO IT team consists of an endocrinologist, an exercise physiologist, a registered dietitian, nurse educators and a social worker. You’ll start by meeting with each specialist individually. You’ll have a physical exam and lab work, and we’ll take an image of your eye's retina. After evaluating your needs, the team will work with you to design a personalized nutrition, exercise and medication plan.
You can request (or a DO IT physician may recommend) a consultation with specialists in cardiovascular disease, obesity, insulin pump therapy, eye care, diabetes and pregnancy, diabetes and aging, sexual function, mental health and disorders of the feet. These consultations are not included in the costs of the DO IT program, however.
Learn the Latest
DO IT also includes small classes in a relaxed setting. We will go over the latest techniques in diabetes management:
- Interpreting blood glucose levels
- Spotting, avoiding and treating low blood glucose
- Responding to high levels
- Adjusting and timing your medications
- Taking care of your heart and kidneys
- Managing travel and sick days
- Meeting nutritional goals
- Removing the guess-work from dining out
- Exercising to maintain control
- Reducing stress and staying motivated
We will also take you on a tour of Joslin’s research labs. Joslin Diabetes Center has over 300 researchers investigating all aspects of prevention, cure and complications of type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
Leave with a Plan
At the conclusion of the program, we’ll provide you and your primary care provider with a record of your lab work, medical findings, and changes you’ve made to your diabetes care plan.
DO IT Now
Call us at 617-309-2628 for more information, a brochure, and to register, or e-mail email@example.com
Available DO IT Start Dates:
September 21, 2015
October 12, 2015
October 26, 2015
Boston Area Lodging
Information on places to stay in Boston during Joslin programs
Why DO IT?
In following up on people who have gone through the DO IT program, we’ve found:
- Their A1C results have improved by an average of almost 1.5 points. Those with the greatest risk of complications—with A1C readings greater than 10—reduced their levels an average of 2.75 points in the first 3-6 months.
- The number of their emergency room visits and hospitalization was cut in half the first year.
- The time lost from work or school was reduced by 43 percent the first year.
There are lots of books, brochures and articles filled with diabetes advice. But your path to better glucose control is going to be unique to you.
Page last updated: July 31, 2015