Get Back on Track
Sometimes we need to revisit how we've been managing diabetes. The Diabetes Outpatient Intensive Treatment Program (DO IT) helps people with any type of diabetes tune-up the management of their condition. Through individual attention and small-group education, you'll learn what you need to do to stay on the pathway to better health.
Join the Next Class
Sign-up now, space is limited. Joslin can help you reach your health goals.
To learn more about the DO IT program or to register call 617-309-2628 or e-mail DOITParticipant [at] joslin.harvard.edu.
What to Expect
Your DO IT team is made up of an endocrinologist, an exercise physiologist, a registered dietitian, nurse educators, behavioral health expert, and a clinical pharmacist. You’ll start by meeting with each specialist individually. Then you'll have a physical exam and lab work, and we’ll take an image of your eyes' retina.
After evaluating your needs, the team will work with you to design a personalized nutrition, exercise, and medication plan. We will go over the latest techniques in diabetes management:
- Interpreting blood glucose levels
- Spotting, avoiding, and treating low blood glucose
- Responding to high levels
- Adjusting and timing your medications
- Taking care of your heart and kidneys
- Managing travel and sick days
- Meeting nutritional goals
- Removing the guesswork from dining out
- Exercising to maintain control
- Reducing stress and staying motivated
At the end of the program, we’ll provide you and your primary care doctor with a record of your lab work, medical findings, and the changes you’ve made to your diabetes care plan.
Many of our patients improve their A1C results by an average of almost 1.5 points.