We Are Back In Person!
We are excited to announce that Joslin Diabetes Center’s annual A Taste of Ginger event will take place in person* on Monday, September 19. Once again, we will have some of Boston’s top chefs join us for one of the city’s most beloved tasting events. This year’s event will be unlike any past Ginger event you’ve been to before. Enjoy cooking demonstrations and competitions, musical entertainment, special guests and more as you learn more about the important work of the Asian American Diabetes Initiative (AADI) at Joslin. And if you can’t join us in person, you have the opportunity to tune in virtually for this special night. You won’t want to miss this!
*Please note that all attendees will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend the event in person. This includes boosters. See more information below.
Thank you to our restaurant partners for their dedicated support of Joslin Diabetes Center. Stay tuned for a list of our 2022 participating restaurants!
Thank you to all of our generous committee members for their time and dedication in making this year’s event a success. If you would like to join our committee, please reach out to us atasteofginger [at] joslin.harvard.edu (by email)target="_blank" title="Email our committee" or 617-309-2416.
- Henry He, MD
- Shunee Yee
- Bik Fung Ng
- Jimmy Liang
- Satish Bhogadi
- Wesley Chang
- Scott Chin
- Dawn Dino
- Diana Eng-King
- Om Ganda, MD
- Qian Ge
- Spenser Grabowski
- Huiming Guo
- Bing Jiang Hollander
- Runhua Hou, MD
- Rohit Kulkarni, MD, PhD
- Doug Lee
- Marisa Millen
- Naomi Sakamoto
- Vivian Samson
- Paolo Silva, MD
- Pratap Singh
- Jennifer Sun, MD, MPH
- Leverett Wing
- Connie Wong
- Peng Yi, PhD
- Alice Yong
- Marc Gregory Yu, MD
- Ellen Zhang
A Taste of Ginger sponsorships are available at many levels for both corporations and individuals. For more information, please view our event brochure to learn more about our sponsorship opportunities, or contact Brenda Goodell at 617-309-2431.
Thank you to our 2022 sponsors for their generous support!
- CSOFT International and Shunee Yee
- Bernard Chiu and Family
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- The Chen Family
- Lilly Diabetes
- Stephanie and John C. Fan, PhD
- Tai Tung Pharmacy
- Deborah and C. Richard Carlson
- Carol and Jeffrey E. Horvitz
- Diana and George L. King, MD
- South Cove Community Health Center
- Edward P. Feener, PhD
- Jeanne and You Wei Lin, MD
- Novo Nordisk
- Kathleen and Martin J. Pasqualini
- Pratap Singh
- Shinemound Enterprise Inc.
- Sinocare Diabetes Foundation
- Xeris Pharmaceuticals
- Acrisure, LLC
- Aronson Insurance
- Bik Fung Ng
- Choo & Company Inc.
Show your support of the AADI and join us in person for A Taste of Ginger. Tickets to join us in person are $300 each. Please note that you will have to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend this event and be able to provide proof of vaccination. Guests can do this by emailing a copy of their vaccination card and photo ID to safety [at] joslin.harvard.edu (Joslin's Safety Department)target="_blank" title="Email Joslin's Safety Department" at least two weeks before the event. Please note that all emails with proof of vaccination will be destroyed 30 days after the event. For more information on what is defined as fully vaccinated for this event, please see our FAQs below.
If you would like to join us virtually, you can view the event for free on Zoom. Simply RSVP and you will receive a link to watch the event.
You can purchase your ticket(s) or RSVP for the virtual event by visiting our ticketing website.
If you can’t attend this year’s event but would like to make a gift to support the AADI and Joslin’s mission to prevent, treat and cure diabetes, please visit our online donation page. Your donation is fully tax deductible.
Purchase an advertisement to support and congratulate Joslin Diabetes Center and the AADI. Advertisements range from $250 to $1,500. If you would like to purchase one, contact us at atasteofginger [at] joslin.harvard.edu (by email)target="_blank" title="Email us" or call 617-309-2416. The deadline to place an advertisement is July 29, 2022.
Joslin’s A Taste of Ginger will feature incredible silent auction items up for bid. Whether you can join us in person or not, you can bid on these auction items from your own mobile phone.
Our event would not be the same without the generous support from businesses and individuals who donate goods and services to our silent auction. If you have an item that would be a perfect addition to our auction, please submit the auction donation form, atasteofginger [at] joslin.harvard.edu (contact us by email)target="_blank" title="Email us", or call 617-309-2416.
Thank you to our 2022 in-kind donors for their generous support!
- Al Dente Ristorante
- Boston Beer Company
- Boston Organics
- Boston Red Sox and David Friedman
- Buzzards Bay Brewing
- Cambridge School of Culinary Arts
- The Charles Hotel
- China Pearl
- Bernard Chiu and Family
- Cloud & Spirits
- Coolidge Corner Theatre
- Costco Wholesale
- Delectable EATS
- Dumpling Daughter
- Fanatics Authentic
- Flour Bakery
- Gavan Luxury
- George Howell Coffee
- Golden Wat Spirits
- Hanover Wine & Spirits
- Hotel Commonwealth
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
- Island Creek Oysters
- Jacqueline Church
- Jean & Lee Kitchen
- JP Fuji Group
- Kristina Cho
- Leverett Wing
- Martignetti Wines
- Mary Shey Ribbon Stitchery
- MEM Tea Imports
- Mei Mei
- Myers + Chang
- Peabody Essex Museum
- Pho Le Restaurant
- The Smoke Shop BBQ
- Summer Shack
- Sweat Fixx
- Sweet Basil
- Total Wine & More
- Wynn Resorts – Encore Boston Harbor
What safety measures are you taking for the in-person event?
The safety of our attendees, restaurant volunteers, patients and staff members remains top of mind for Joslin and the AADI. As such, we are taking the necessary precautions to ensure this event is as safe as possible. These measures include requiring vaccinations (including boosters), socially distanced seating, masking when not actively eating or drinking, individual covered servings of the tastings, eliminating shared touch points when possible, frequently sanitizing high-touch spaces and more. If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 617-309-2416 or atasteofginger [at] joslin.harvard.edu (email us)target="_blank" title="Email us".
What does fully vaccinated mean?
Individuals are considered fully vaccinated after receiving the second dose of a two-dose series, or one dose of a single-dose series, World Health Organization certified vaccine against COVID-19, along with a corresponding booster shot. Individuals must receive their booster shot at least two weeks in advance of the event.
How do I submit my proof of vaccination?
In order to attend the event, we are requiring that all attendees submit their proof of vaccination. Guests can do this by emailing a copy of their vaccination card and photo ID to safety [at] joslin.harvard.edu (Joslin's Safety Department)target="_blank" title="Email Joslin's Safety Department" at least two weeks before the event. Please note that all emails with proof of vaccination will be destroyed 30 days after the event.
How do I sponsor the event?
There are a wide variety of sponsorship levels available for individuals and corporations. Please view our sponsorship packet for a listing of sponsorship levels and benefits. We welcome your sponsorship.
Can I pay for my sponsorship with my Donor Advised Fund (DAF)?
Yes, you may pay for your sponsorship with your DAF. However, the IRS requires that you write an additional personal check for any “goods or services” you receive such as the food you will receive at the event. Please call the Development Office at 617-309-2416 with any questions.
How do I purchase tickets?
- Tickets can be purchased for $300 each on our ticketing website. Attending the event virtually is free and you will simply need to RSVP to receive the Zoom link.
- By mailing your check to: Joslin Diabetes Center, One Joslin Place, Suite 745, Boston, MA 02215
- By calling 617-309-2416
How do I place a bid for the silent auction?
This year, we will be using an electronic bidding system that will allow you to place bids from your own mobile phone for the auction. You will receive information in the weeks leading up to the event on how you can register and bid on these items before the event starts.
About the AADI
In response to the rising rates of diabetes in the Asian American population and the lack of culturally relevant research, clinical care and education, Joslin Research Director George L. King, MD, and supporters of Joslin Diabetes Center established the Asian American Diabetes Initiative (AADI) in 2000.
Goals of the AADI
- Study diabetes in the Asian American population and disseminate Joslin’s research findings to healthcare providers and Asian American communities
- Provide diabetes education through innovative and culturally appropriate materials and outreach programs
- Design and implement clinical treatment programs for Asian Americans
- Collaborate with local, national and international organizations to raise diabetes awareness
- Incorporate diverse community voices to promote health equity
For 17 years, A Taste of Ginger has served as a major diabetes education event and critical fundraiser for Joslin’s Asian American Diabetes Initiative (AADI) raising over $2.6 million.
The investments made by our sponsors have funded accomplishments such as:
- Established culturally appropriate clinical approaches and educational materials to treat diabetes in Joslin’s Asian Clinic.
- Successful advocacy for the Federal CDC to include Asian Americans (AAs) in their national study leading the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and American Medical Association (AMA) to change their screening guidelines for diabetes for AAs.
- Leadership of the national ‘Screen at 23’ initiative with the National Diabetes Coalition and the ADA on the increased risks of diabetes among AAs at a lower BMI than other populations.
- Founded the Asian Social Club series—workshops for Asian Clinic patients and their caregivers—to provide practical knowledge to better manage their diabetes.
In 2022, your generous sponsorship will support:
- Enhancement of free and accessible educational materials for AA communities, including the expansion of the "Let's Talk About" video series covering topics from stress related to diabetes, COVID-19 concerns, anti-Asian sentiments, and other relevant content.
- Collaboration with Joslin's pregnancy clinic and other institutions to pursue research related to gestational diabetes (GDM) among Asian Americans to establish more effective protocols.
- Provide clinical care and education to AA women with or who have had gestational diabetes (GDM) to prevent or treat type 2 diabetes both for themselves and for their children.
To learn more, visit our web page or email aadi [at] joslin.harvard.edu (Joslin’s Asian American Diabetes Initiative)target="_blank" title="Email Joslin’s Asian American Diabetes Initiative".